Parenting After Infertility
In most ways, parenting after infertility is no different from general parenting. Your life is filled with getting your kids to sleep, maybe try new foods, and succeed in school. However, you are a different person and a different parent because of your struggle with infertility. It is worth thinking about some of the unique ways that infertility affects your parenting style.
Parents who conceived with the help of sperm donation, egg donation, surrogacy, or embryo donation (third party reproduction) also need to decide how and when to talk with their children about their conception. We have a separate section with many resources to help you.
Creating a Family has many resources for Parenting After Infertility. Here are a few more we think you will find particularly helpful:
- The Lingering Pain of Infertility Even After Adopting (guest blog post)
- Saying Good-Bye to the Child You Never Had (blog post)
- Coming to Terms with Infertility Grief Before You Adopt (1 hr. radio show w/ expert)
- Living With Infertility (1 hr. radio show w/ expert)
- Suggested Books for Older Parents by Adoption and Fertility Treatment (curated book lists)
Many more Creating a Family radio interviews with experts, videos, blogs, fact sheets, and Q and A’s with Experts on how infertility can affect parenting can be found at the icons below.
Image credit: Donnie Ray Jones