Parenting children from the foster care system who have experienced the trauma of abuse and neglect is hard and lonely work. It is imperative that foster parents take care of themselves to avoid burning out. Most foster parents by their nature are caregivers, but it does not come easy to turn some of that caring towards themselves.
Creating a Family has resources and ideas, supported by research and experienced therapists, on self-care for foster parents. A few we think you will find particularly helpful are:
- Self-Care for Adoptive, Foster, and Kinship Parents (article)
- Foster Parents Practice Radical Hospitality (guest article)
- Self-Care for Foster Parents (article)
- Taking Care of Yourself When Parenting Harder to Parent Kids (1 hr. podcast w/ expert)
- What Do Kinship Caregivers Need to Succeed? (1 hr. podcast w/ experts)
Scroll to the very bottom of this page to see the many other resources we have on self-care for foster parents in the form of blogs, articles, radio shows/podcasts, tip sheets, fact sheets, and expert Q & A’s.