Healing From Abuse & Neglect
The vast majority of children entering foster care or kinship care have experienced some degree of neglect or abuse. Both neglect and abuse leave scars, and one of the most important (and hardest) tasks for foster and kinship parents is to help their foster child heal these scars. It may be impossible to completely erase the impact, but providing a safe, predictable “soft landing” for these children will help them begin to heal.
Creating a Family has resources, supported by research and experienced therapists, for you who are parenting foster kids and kinship-care kids towards Healing from Abuse & Neglect. A few we think you will find particularly helpful are:
- What Every Foster Parent Should Know: 8 Losses Foster Kids Feel (blog post)
- Parenting Children Who Have Experienced Trauma (1 hr. radio show w/ guest expert)
- Helping Children Heal from Past Trauma and Loss (1 hr. radio show w/ guest expert)
- Trauma-Informed Parenting: Practical Applications of TBRI (1 hr. radio show w/ guest expert)
- Books For Kids Who Have Suffered From Abuse/Trauma
Scroll to the bottom of this page to see the many other resources we have on Healing From Abuse & Neglect in the form of blogs, articles, radio shows/podcasts, tip sheets, fact sheets, and expert Q & A’s.