The vast majority of children entering foster care or kinship care have experienced some degree of neglect or abuse. Both neglect and abuse leave scars, and one of the most important (and hardest) tasks for foster and kinship parents is to help their foster child heal these scars. It may be impossible to completely erase the impact, but providing a safe, predictable “soft landing” for these children will help them begin to heal.
Creating a Family has resources, supported by research and experienced therapists, for you who are parenting foster kids and kinship-care kids towards Healing from Abuse & Neglect. A few we think you will find particularly helpful are:
- Using Scripts to Build Trust with Foster & Adopted Kids (blog post)
- Protective Factors That Help Your Child Overcome High ACEs (blog post)
- Practical Tips for Disciplining Children Who Have Experienced Trauma (1 hr. radio interview w/ expert)
- Parenting Children Who Have Experienced Trauma (1 hr. radio interview w/ expert)
- Trauma-Informed Parenting: Practical Applications of TBRI (1 hr. radio interview w/ expert)
- Books For Kids Who Have Suffered From Abuse/Trauma
Scroll to the bottom of this page to see the many other resources we have on Healing From Abuse & Neglect in the form of blogs, articles, radio shows/podcasts, tip sheets, fact sheets, and expert Q & A’s.