Healing From Abuse & Neglect
Most children entering foster care or kinship care have experienced some degree of neglect or abuse. Both neglect and abuse leave scars, and one of the most important (and hardest) tasks for foster and kinship parents is to help their foster child heal these scars. It may be impossible to erase the impact completely, but providing a safe, predictable “soft landing” for these children will help them begin to heal.
Creating a Family has resources, supported by research and experienced therapists, for parenting foster kids and kinship-care kids towards Healing from Abuse & Neglect. A few we think you will find particularly helpful are:
- When is it Time to Find a Therapist? (article)
- 5 Tips for Healthy Family Communication (article)
- The Three Es: Understanding the Impacts of Trauma (article)
- Trauma-Informed Parenting: Practical Applications of TBRI® (1 hr. podcast w/ expert)
- Helping Our Kids Overcome a Traumatic Background (1 hr. podcast w/ experts)
- How Trauma Impacts a Child’s Development (1 hr. podcast w/ experts)
- Books For Kids Who Have Suffered From Abuse/Trauma
Scroll to the bottom of this page to see the many other resources we have on Healing From Abuse & Neglect in the form of articles, podcasts, and fact sheets.