Sleep Issues with Adopted Children
Ask any new adoptive parent what their biggest issue is the first year after adoption, and nine out of ten will say sleep issues, or lack thereof. That is understandable since exhaustion affects behavior for both children and parents, and saps the joy out of life.
While we do not have a magic bullet to get your kid to bed and keep him there, Creating a Family does have many resources on sleep issues with adopted children that may help.
Here are a few that we think you will find particularly helpful:
- Help! My Newly Placed Child is Regressing on Sleep (article)
- Adoptive Parenting: Balancing Attachment with Getting Sleep (article)
- Understanding Psychotropic Medications (1 hr. podcast w/ expert)
- Sleep Trouble with Adopted Kids (1 hr. podcast w/ experts)
- Getting Your Kids to Sleep and Keeping Them There (1 hr. podcast w/ expert)
- Suggested Books on Sleep Issues for Adoptive Parents (curated book lists)
Many more Creating a Family resources with experts, blogs, and fact sheets on sleep issues in adoption can be found at the icons below.
Image credit: Ljudevit Andres
Creating a Family Podcasts on Sleep Issues
Creating a Family Blogs on Sleep Issues
Creating a Family Factsheets, Tips on Sleep Issues