Sleep Issues with Adopted Children
Ask any new adoptive parent what their biggest issue is the first year after adoption, and nine out of ten will say sleep, or lack thereof. That is understandable since exhaustion affects behavior for both children and parents, and saps the joy out of life.
While we do not have a magic bullet to get your kid to bed and keep him there, Creating a Family does have many resources on sleep issues with adopted children that may help.
Here are a few that we think you will find particularly helpful:
- Sleep Issues with Adopted Kids (1 hr. radio interview w/experts)
- The Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep (1 hr radio interview w/ Dr. Harvey, author of the Happiest Baby on the Block books)
- Getting Your Kids to Sleep and Keeping Them There (1 hr radio interview w/ Mary Kurcinka, author of Sleepless in America)
- Sleep Issues with Adopted Kids: Grieving at Night (blog post)
- Adoptive Parenting: Balancing Attachment with Getting Sleep (blog post)
- Suggested Books on Sleep Issues for Adoptive Parents
Many more Creating a Family radio interviews with experts, videos, blogs, fact sheets, and Q and A’s with Experts on sleep issues in adoption can be found at the icons below.Image credit: Ljudevit Andres