Blending Children by Birth and Adoption
Parents come to adoption from different places. Some already have children by birth when they decide to adopt. Others have faced infertility and adopt, but choose to go back into fertility treatment to try for another child. In both cases, parents need to think through the special issues that can arise when consider blending kids by birth and adoption. Both biological and adopted children can thrive, but it helps for adoptive parents to be prepared.
Creating a Family has many resources on Blending Children by Birth and Adoption. Here are a few we think you will find particularly helpful:
- Overcoming Unhealthy Dynamics Between Siblings (blog post)
- Tips to Prepare Children for the Adoption of a Sibling (blog post)
- Blending Children by Birth and Adoption (1 hr. radio show w/ expert)
- Disrupting Birth Order in Adoption and Foster Care (1 hr. radio show w/ expert)
- Preparing Children Already in the Home for an Adoption (1 hr. radio show w/ expert)
- Suggested Books for Preparing Children for the Adoption of a Sibling
Many more Creating a Family interviews with experts, blogs, and fact sheets on blending biological and adopted children can be found at the icons below.
Sources: Creating a Family radio shows below