Parental Leave: What You Need to Know Before You Adopt or Foster
Are adoptive parents eligible? What about foster parents or kinship parents? We talk with Dr. Amy Beacom and Sue Campbell, with the Center for Parental Leave Leadership and co-authors of The Parental Leave Playbook.
In this episode, we cover:
- What are the laws and rules surrounding parental leave in the US?
- Who is eligible under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)?
- On the company level.
- How do policies differ from maternity leave or paternity leave?
- Policies that require employees to pay back their time off if they do not stay employed with the company/organization for a certain period of time.
- How does this differ from other countries?
- Are the laws/rules different for mothers and fathers? Are they gender neutral?
- Do you receive your salary when you are away from work?
- Does the policy differ for someone adopting a child?
- Are adoptive families protected under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)?
- Are birth mothers eligible?
- Does there have to be a legal relationship between the parent and the child? Is it different for someone fostering a child? Are you eligible with every new foster placement?
- Are kinship caregivers eligible?
- The Parental Leave Playbook lays out a process in three phases: preparing to be away, during time away, and returning to work.
- What steps should you take to be successful in each phase?
To support the Paid Leave for All Act
Don’t miss an episode. Be sure to subscribe.
Leave us a rating or review.
Music Credit: Michael Ashworth
Image Credit: Karolina Grabowska