LGBTQ+ Parenting (Part 2): Adoption
We talk about LGBTQ+ parenting: adoption with Dr. Abbie Goldberg, a Professor of Psychology and Director of Women’s & Gender Studies at Clark University. Her research and writing focus on diverse families, including LGBTQ parent and adoptive families, and she has authored and edited 8 books and over 130 peer-reviewed articles in this area.
In this episode, we cover:
- Legality of LGBTQ+ parents adopting in the US.
- Statistics on LGBTQ+ adoptions. Percentage, transracial, foster care adoption
- Do you see any residual prejudice against LGBTQ+ parents when wanting to adopt or foster? Foster care? Domestic infant? International? Embryo?
- Hesitancy with placing with someone who is transgender?
- Does open adoption look different in LGBTQ+ adoptive families.
- Do LGBTQ+ parents parent in ways that are different than cisgender heterosexual parents?
- How are children in LGBTQ+ faring?
- Lesbian, gay, and heterosexual adoptive parents’ experiences with pediatricians: A mixed-methods study.
- Parental naming practices in same-sex adoptive families.
- How are LGBTQ+ youth in foster care doing?
Don’t miss an episode. Be sure to subscribe.
Leave us a rating or review.
Music Credit: Michael Ashworth
Image Credit: Kampus Productions