Adopting a Child from Another State
How do you find and adopt a baby or child in another state and what is the Interstate Compact for the Placement of Children (ICPC)? We talk with Chantilly Wijayasinha, MSW and MPH and Interim Director of Adoptions and Foster Care at Vista Del Mar Child & Family Services; and Jim Thompson, adoption, foster care, and assisted reproduction attorney at the Thompson Dove Law Group, and a Fellow at Academy of Adoption & Assisted Reproduction Attorneys.
In this episode, we cover:
- Is it possible to adopt an infant when adopting a child from another state?
- How does a prospective adoptive parent find an expectant mother when adopting a child from another state?
- How does the domestic infant adoption process differ when the adoptive parents and the expectant moms live in different states?
- What is the Interstate Compact for the Placement of Children (ICPC)?
- What state’s adoption laws will be used for the adoption?
- How long should adoptive parents expect the ICPC process to take?
Adopting from Foster Care
- Is it possible to adopt a child from foster care in another state?
- Can you foster a child in foster care in another state?
- How to find a child in foster care in another state who is legally free to adopt?
- How does the foster care adoption process differ when the prospective adoptive parents and the child live in different states?
- What are the steps on the ICPC as it applies to foster care adoption?
- How do visitations between the adoptive family and the child work?
- When adopting a foster child from another state, how are adoption subsidies handled? Which state pays the subsidy?
- How are health care benefits handled?
Don’t miss an episode. Be sure to subscribe.
Music Credit: Michael Ashworth