Domestic Infant Adoption
Infant adoption, also known as baby adoption, domestic adoption, birth mother relinquishment adoption, and sometimes private adoption, is the most common form of adoption in the US. Our Domestic Infant Adoption Chart has a great summary of the factors to consider.
It is possible to adopt a baby in the US using either an adoption agency or an adoption attorney. In most infant adoptions in the US, the expectant mother (or couple) chooses the adoptive parent or couple for her child. The vast majority of baby adoptions in the US are open.
The average cost to adopt from an adoption agency adoption is typically about $43,000. Some adoption agencies have a sliding fee scale where adoption costs are based on your income.
An independent adoption through an adoption attorney usually costs an average of $38,000.
See the Creating a Family page on the Cost of Adoption in the US, which breaks down the cost by type of adoption and analyzes factors that affect the cost.
Adoptive parents often feel a lot of pressure to make the perfect profile book in order to be chosen. While there is no such thing as perfect, Creating a Family has many resources to help you prepare your adoptive parent profile and know what to include and what to leave out. These radio shows, fact sheets, blogs, videos, and expert Q & A’s can be found by clicking the icons at the bottom of this page. Here is a sample of what you will find:
- Preparing an Adoptive Parent Profile (video)
- Top Ten Tips For Preparing an Adoptive Parent Profile (Dear Birth Mother Letter) (fact sheet)
- How To Create a Compelling Adoption Profile (1 hr. podcast w/ expert)
Creating a Family has many additional resources on domestic infant adoption. A few we think you will find particularly helpful are:
- 5 Questions You Should Ask Before You Adopt (article)
- Helping Hopeful Adoptive Parents Evaluate Risk Factors In Domestic Infant Adoption (article)
- Family Building Challenges for Military Families: Adoption, IVF & Fostering (1 hr. podcast w/ experts)
- Adopting a Child from Another State (1 hr. podcast w/ experts)
- Legal Process of Domestic Adoption (1 hr. podcast w/ experts)
- Adoption Tax Credit 2020 (1 hr. online course that meets foster/adoption training requirements)
Many more Creating a Family interviews with experts, blogs, and fact sheets on adopting a baby in the US can be found at the icons below.
Sources: Creating a Family Radio shows below, Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute, National Council for Adoption
Image credit: Papermoons