Domestic Infant Adoption
It is possible to adopt a baby in the US using either an adoption agency or an adoption attorney. In most infant adoptions in the US, the expectant mother (or couple) chooses the adoptive parent or couple for her child. The vast majority of baby adoptions in the US are open.
It is also possible to adopt through the foster care system, although few infants are available for adoption from the foster system. International adoption is also an option, but the youngest children available are usually around 2 years old.
Check out this CreatingaFamily.org resource, Quick Comparison Chart for the Different Types of Adoptions or listen to this 1 hr. CreatingaFamily.org podcast on Adoption Options: What Type of Adoption is Best for You?
The average cost to adopt from an adoption agency adoption is typically about $43,000. Some adoption agencies have a sliding fee scale where adoption costs are based on your income.
An independent adoption through an adoption attorney usually costs an average of $38,000.
See the CreatingaFamily.org resource page, Cost of Adoption in the US, which breaks down the cost by type of adoption and analyzes factors that affect the cost.
Adoptive parents often feel a lot of pressure to make the perfect profile book in order to be chosen. While there is no such thing as perfect, CreatingaFamily.org has many resources to help you prepare your adoptive parent profile and know what to include and what to leave out. These radio shows, fact sheets, blogs, videos, and expert Q & A’s can be found by clicking the icons at the bottom of this page. Here is a sample of what you will find:
- Preparing an Adoptive Parent Profile (video)
- Top Ten Tips For Preparing an Adoptive Parent Profile (Dear Birth Mother Letter) (fact sheet)
- How To Create a Compelling Adoption Profile (1 hr. CreatingaFamilyEd.org online course w/ certificate of completion available)
CreatingaFamily.org has many additional resources on domestic infant adoption. A few recent ones we think you will find particularly helpful are:
- Adoption in the US: How Many? How Much? How Long? (article, updated annually)
- How to Pack: Adopting a Baby from Another State (article)
- Common Symptoms of Prenatal Exposure & What Parents Can Do About Them (article)
- Unexpected Stresses on Newly Adoptive Parents (1 hr. podcast w/ experts)
- Finding an Adoption and Foster Competent Therapist (1 hr. podcast w/ expert)
- Legal and Medical Risk in Infant Adoption (1 hr. podcast w/ expert)
Many more CreatingaFamily.org interviews with experts, blogs, and fact sheets on adopting a baby in the US can be found by clicking on the icons below.
Sources: CreatingaFamily.org podcasts with experts, Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute, National Council for Adoption,
Image credit: Papermoons