6 Unexpected Bonuses to Adopting/Fostering a Tween or Teen
I’ve noticed that much of the talk about adopting a tween or teen focuses on the negative—all the baggage they bring, all the behavioral issues they may have, and on and on. But what about the flip side? What about the advantages to adopting an older child? Here are 6 advantages to get you started.
6 Advantages to Adopting a Tween or Teen
- More understanding about their prior life. Kids over the age of 8-10 can usually tell you about their life. They can participate more fully in counseling. This information is vital to guide your parenting.
- More quickly able to do things your family enjoys. Do you like to play video games, watch movies other than Disney or Pixar, ski, or while away a Saturday afternoon at a neighborhood coffee shop? No guarantee that your tween or teen will enjoy the same activities, but chances are good that if you look hard enough you can find something to do together that you both genuinely enjoy.
- More self-sufficient. They can get themselves ready in the morning and get ready for bed by themselves. Of course, every child needs to be tucked in at night and maybe even share a good read aloud book before bed. The good news is that you will likely thoroughly enjoy these books as much as your child.
- Interesting conversations. By this age the child can enter into real conversations about topics you actually find interesting. They likely are following the presidential race, have thoughts about police violence, care about who will win at the Oscars, etc.
- No daycare expenses. No one will ever say that tweens and teens are cheap, but at least childcare is one expense you will not have to worry about.
- Ability to work with the child to help solve problems. Older kids can become an active partner in solving everyday parenting “issues” that come up. For example, how to get the kitchen cleaned up in time for everyone to have some time off before getting ready for bed, or how to get everyone out of the house in the morning. Kids are more likely to buy into the solution is they help create it.
What other advantages can you think of for adopting a tween or teen?Image credit: Steven Depolo