Do you know how the legal process of adoption works? How do you get an original birth certificate? How do you get a social security number for your adopted child? We talk with Brinton Wright, an adoption attorney and Fellow in the Academy of Adoption & Assisted Reproduction Attorneys about the legal and social implications of adoption.
In this episode, we cover:
- Understanding adoption laws and procedures, including termination of parental rights and the expedited relinquishment process pursuant to Section 19-5-103.5, C.R.S., and the administrative notice for any other birth parent or possible birth parent pursuant to Section 19-5-103.7, C.R.S., if applicable.
- Expectations of adoption and adoptive process.
- Disclosure issues including the accuracy of family history information regarding the child and birth parent(s)’ family, discussion with the child and sharing information with others.
- Criteria used to determine eligibility — Background Check
- Home study process
- Pre-placement requirements
- Placement process
- Post-placement requirements and supports
- Determining readiness for adoption legalization
- Full and fair child specific disclosure/Confidentiality
- Limited, inaccurate or missing background information
- Subsidy eligibility and post-adoption support services – preservation, Support groups, education, search and reunion, service referral
- Legal risk placement (if appropriate)
- Understanding the reasons adoption plans are made for children
- The placement decision process
- Legal and social processes and implications of adoption
- Relationship between child welfare laws, the local department’s mandates, and how the local department carries out its mandates
- Legal issues relating to adoption
Don’t miss an episode. Be sure to subscribe.
Music credit: Michael Ashworth