Women and men choose single parenthood for many reasons, but the most common is that they want to be a parent and they have not found the right partner. What they share is a strong desire for parenthood. Their families can be formed through adoption or through fertility treatment.
- Adoption Comparison Charts – including information regarding single parent adoption
- Adopting as a Single Parent (1 hr. radio interview w/ experts)
- What Expectant Women Look for In Adoptive Parents (1 hr radio interview with guest expert)
- Are Single Women and Same Sex Couple Chosen by Birth Mothers (blog post)
- Suggested Books on Adoption and Parenting as a Single Parent (book lists curated by Creating a Family)
Single women may use donor sperm (with or without artificial insemination) and single men may use donor egg with surrogacy. Creating a Family has many resources on becoming a single parent via sperm or egg donation. A few we think you will find particularly helpful are:
- Finding Male Role Models for Kids of Single Moms (or lesbian couples) (blog post)
- Artificial Insemination & Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) (1 hr radio interview with experts)
- Single Parenthood by Choice (1 hr radio interview with experts)
- Top Ten Tips for Choosing an Egg or Sperm Donor (tip sheet)
Many more Creating a Family radio interviews with experts, videos, blogs, fact sheets, and Q and A’s with Experts on single parenthood can be found at the icons below.