In most ways, parenting adopted children is like parenting children by birth – you love, you teach, you worry, and you set limits. You thrill in their accomplishments and you support them through their failures because that is what parents do. However, parenting a child that is born to and shares genetic ties with another family has some unique issues about which adoptive parents need to be aware.
The primary effect that the internet has had on adoptive parenting is the ready availability of information on birth family. This is a challenge for some adoptive families.
Creating a Family has many other resources to help you navigate the issues presented by the Internet on the additional resource icons at the bottom of this page. Here is an example of what you will find:
- Top Ten Adoptive Parenting Tips for Facebook and the Internet (fact sheet)
- The Internet’s Effect on Adoption (blog post)
- Common Sense Internet Rules For Kids (Adopted or Otherwise) (blog post)
- Parenting the Adopted Child in the Age of Social Networking (7 min. video)
Creating a Family has many resources for Adoptive Parenting. Here are just a few that we think you will find particularly helpful:
- Helping Our Kids Cope with Anxiety About CoVid-19 (blog post, from our CoVid-19 series)
- Schooling Our Kids During the CoVid-19 Quarantine (blog post, from our CoVid-19 series)
- How to do Connected Parenting While Quarantined (1 hr. radio show w/expert, from our CoVid-19 series)
- Homeschooling Kids (on top of everything else) During Coronavirus (1 hr. radio show w/ expert, from our CoVid-19 series)
- How to Juggle Kids, Schooling & Work During Coronavirus Shutdown (1 hr. radio show w/ expert, from our CoVid-19 series)
- This Isn’t How I Thought It Would Feel! (guest blog post)
- Tips to Prepare Children for the Adoption of a Sibling (blog post)
- Parenting Children Who Have Experienced Trauma (1 hr. radio show w/ guest expert)
- Raising Resilient Kids (1 hr. radio show w/ guest expert)
- Suggested Books for Adopted Children (booklists are broken down by age level)
Many more Creating a Family radio interviews with experts, videos, blogs, fact sheets, and Q and A’s with Experts on adoptive parenting can be found at the icons below.