The Universal Accreditation Act is now reality. How will it change international adoptions? If you have already applied to adopt, how will it affect you? Host Dawn Davenport interviewed: Robin Sizemore, Founder and Executive Director of Hopscotch Adoptionsan international adoption agency in North Carolina and New York; and Nicole Skellenger, an Adoption Attorney and Chief Operating Officer at MLJ Adoptions, an international adoption agency based in Indianapolis, IN.
- What is the Universal Accreditation Act?
- Does the Universal Accreditation Act apply to all internationals adoptions from all countries?
- Are all adoption agencies that are already accredited under the Hague Treaty on Intercountry Adoption accredited for these non-Hague countries?
- What about cases already in process? Can adoption cases in process be grandfathered in?
- Can someone still adopt independently from a country that allows it by hiring an attorney in that country?
- Are US citizens who are living in a country able to adopt privately from that country or do they have to use a US adoption agency?
- What about countries that place very few children in the US and no agency has a program in that country?
- How will the Universal Accreditation Act apply to adoptions from Ukraine after July 14, 2014?
- How will the Universal Accreditation Act apply to adoptions from Jamaica after July 14, 2014?
- How will the Universal Accreditation Act apply to kinship adoptions or relative adoptions?
- How much will cost of adoption increase with the adoption of the Universal Accreditation Act?
- Why are there so many regulations for international adoption?
For more information from this show and a discussion of this topic, check out Dawn’s blog on the show: Why Are There So Many Regulations in International Adoption. Please join the discussion or leave your thoughts about the show in the comments on the blog.
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Subscribe to our radio RSS feed
- Subscribe to our blog RSS feed
Image credit: real00