Parenting Kids with Prenatal Alcohol and Drug Exposure
Host Dawn Davenport, Executive Director of Creating a Family, the national infertility & adoption education and support nonprofit, interviews a panel of adoptive moms who are raising children who were exposed in pregnancy to alcohol or drugs.
Hit the Highlights
- What is Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD)?
- How does FASD differ from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)?
- How does the impact of alcohol exposure in utero differ from the impact of drug exposure during pregnancy?
- What type of impairments are common with children exposed to alcohol during pregnancy?
- Does FASD affect the child’s intelligence?
- What type of behavior is typical with children affected by FASD?
- How can you distinguish between Primary Behaviors and Secondary Behaviors and why is this distinction important?
- What is neurobehavioral model for helping children with FASD?
- How does FASD affect a child’s social development?
- Why is it important to understand the root cause of the behavior?
- Is facial deformity always associated with FASD?
- When is alcohol use in pregnancy damaging to the fetus?
- What parenting techniques work best for children with FASD?
Don’t miss an episode. Be sure to subscribe.
Leave us a rating or review.Image Credit: Robert Eiserloh
Show originally aired in 2012.