Interview with Actress Nia Vardalos
Host Dawn Davenport interviewed Nia Vardalos, actress (of My Big Fat Greek Wedding fame), author of a new book Instant Mom, and foster care adoptive mom. We talked about her years of struggling with infertility and how she ended up adopting from foster care.
Hit the Highlights
- I love the irony in the title of the book—Instant Mom-because it took you 9 years of infertility treatment, 2 failed surrogacy attempts, and numerous adoption attempts to become a mom, but when it happened, your daughter was in your home within 14 hours
- When did you realize that getting pregnant and carrying a baby to term was not going to be easy?
- 13 IVF cycles-WOW! Why weren’t you able to stop sooner?
- Did you consider donor eggs? It is a decision many in our audience have had to make—whether their next step should be donor egg or adoption.
- How did you know it was time to finally stop treatment?
- You say you moved quickly into adoption without much processing of the grief. I loved your line “any decision made in fear is a reaction, not an action.” Why was stepping back to experience the grief and loss of infertility important to you?
- What adoption options did you consider?
- I’m curious why you didn’t consider adopting from China because you were going through all of this in the heyday of Chinese adoptions.
- Why did you choose to adopt from foster care?
- How old was your daughter?
- What do you say to people who have had a bad experience adopting from foster care?
- How do you adopt from foster care?
- Why did you change your daughter’s name? And I love the naming story, so why don’t you tell it?
- How was the transition into your home?
- Why do you think the transition was hard?
- What tips can you give others for helping their new child adjust to your home and family?
- How is your daughter doing now? How old is she?
- How did you get that cute photo of you on the cover of the book?