How to Do an Independent Private Adoption in the US
It is possible to do an independent private adoption without using an adoption agency? Host Dawn Davenport, Executive Director of Creating a Family, the national infertility & adoption education and support organization, interviews two of the top adoption attorneys that facilitate independent adoptions in the US: Steven M. Kirsh and Mark McDermott.
- Similarities between using an adoption agency or an adoption attorney.
- Differences between using an adoption agency or an adoption attorney.
- Resources for adoption law in specific states?
- What is a facilitator? Is using one a good idea?
- What is the best way to find a birth mother?
- What is the best way to avoid expectant parent scams?
- Where should you hire an attorney if your adoption is interstate?
- Can you can use an adoption attorney for special needs adoption?
- Are there states that are more adoption friendly than others?
- Are any of the following characteristics an impediment to independent adoption?
- Single Parent
- Can you sign up with both an agency and an adoption attorney?
- Typical cost of an independent adoption? Does it cost more than using an agency?
- How much money is at risk if an adoption falls through?
- Average amount of time it takes to adopt
- Risk factors and independent adoption
- Can an adoptive parent require a birth mother to undergo drug testing?
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Subscribe to our radio RSS feed
- Subscribe to our blog RSS feed
Show originally aired in 2009.