How Mental & Physical Health Issues in Prospective Adoptive Parents Affect Adoption
How are mental health issues and physical disabilities or diseases in prospective adoption parents treated by adoption agencies, adoption lawyers, expectant parents, and foreign countries? Can you adopt if you are on anti-depressants? Can you adopt if you have a history of past addictions? In a wheelchair? Our guests are Ann Wrixon, Executive Director of Independent Adoption Center; Rhonda Jarema, the Director of Family Support Services at Nightlight Christian Adoptions since 1998, has worked as a social worker and advocate in the fields of international adoption and mental health for over 30 years and is an adoptive mom; Jaclyn Smith, program coordinator at Children’s Connections, Inc., a domestic adoption agency; and Rebecca Hackworth, Director of Social Services, Dillon International, Inc. with over 30 years experience in international adoption.
- Will taking antidepressants prevent you from adopting a baby in the US?
- Should prospective adoptive parents include their use of antidepressants in their Adoptive Parent Profile or Dear Birthmother Letter?
- Do most expectant women avoid considering couples or singles who want to adopt, but are taking antidepressants medications or have a diagnosis of depression?
- Will taking antidepressants prevent you from adopting internationally?
- What countries prohibit parents with a diagnosis of depression from adopting?
- Is embryo adoption/embryo donation an option for someone who is on antidepressant medications?
- How are other mental health issues or mental illnesses in pre-adoptive parents treated by adoption agencies or adoption lawyers?
- How are physical disabilities treated by adoption agencies or adoption attorney in US domestic adoption?
- How are physical disabilities treated by other countries for international adoption?
- Do foreign countries or adoption agencies make exceptions for prospective adoptive parents considering adopting a child with a special need?
- Do adoption agencies have separate rules that set standards for mental or physical health in adoptive parents?
- Can a paraplegic in a wheelchair adopt?
- Can a blind or deaf person adopt?
- Should you disclose your mental health issues to your adoption agency or adoption lawyer?
- What mental health issues prevent someone from adopting a baby in the US or from abroad?
- Who should not consider adopting?
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Subscribe to our radio RSS feed
- Subscribe to our blog RSS feed