Foster Care Subsidies: What is Reasonable and How to Negotiate
What type of assistance or subsidies are available for parents adopting a child from foster care? Who determines the amount of a monthly adoption subsidy and how can parents negotiate for a fair amount? Host Dawn Davenport, Executive Director of Creating a Family, the national foster care & adoption education and support nonprofit, interviews Josh Kroll, Project Coordinator for the Adoption Subsidy Resource Center at the North American Council on Adoptable Children.
- What are adoption subsidies?
- What other names are used for “adoption subsidies”? Adoption Agreements, Adoption Assistance, monthly stipend. Is there a difference between these?
- Who is eligible for foster care adoption subsidies?
- Are private adoptions eligible for adoption subsidies? What if the private adoption is of a child with special needs?
- Is there an income limit for receiving an adoption subsidy?
- How is the dollar amount of the subsidy determined and by whom?
- Can kinship providers receive foster care adoption subsidies?
- What other things can be included in an adoption subsidy agreement other than a monetary monthly stipend?
- Does the money have to be spent directly and solely on the foster child or can it be used to benefit the whole family or the foster child only tangentially—such as adding a bedroom so that kids don’t have to share or a family vacation.
- What about situations where the child is either too young to be displaying needs or is not displaying needs but the parents have reason to believe that the child will have needs as they age, how can they negotiate for future needs?
- How to handle adoption subsidies where you are adopting an infant with prenatal exposure to alcohol or drugs?
- Do all states include Medicaid for former foster children?
- What other type of things might be included in adoption assistance? College tuition assistance/grant/tuition waiver?
- How can people get information about what particular states usually grant for adoption subsidies? (Adoption Assistance Resource Center at nacac.org and Adoption Assistance by State by Child Welfare Information Gateway)
- How are adoption assistance/adoption subsidies handled if I’m adopting a foster child from another state?
- What should adoptive parents do if they believe that the adoption subsidy that is being offered is not enough?
- How is residential treatment covered?