Finding an Adoption Competent Therapist
Adoptive families often want to find a therapist with adoption training or understanding of the unique issues presented by adoption. Host Dawn Davenport, Executive Director of Creating a Family, the national infertility & adoption education and support nonprofit, interviews Debbie Riley, CEO of The Center for Adoption Support and Education.
- In general, what type of professional can provide therapy?
- Why is competency in adoption issues important?
- What if your child is having what appears to be a run of the mill childhood problem? Is it important to seek out adoption competency or do you risk turning everything into an adoption issue?
- Is there a specific specialty in PhD or masters psychology programs in adoption?
- Tell us about the CASE program for training adoption competent therapists.
- What are the core competencies surrounding adoption therapy?
- What type of training should you look for to determine whether your counselor you are considering is adoption competent?
- Questions to ask to determine if your therapist has adoption competencies.
- What type of therapy is most effective in working with adopted kids and families?
- Is EMDR effective at treating adoption trauma or attachment issues?
- Should work on adoption issues involve just the child, or the child and the parent?
- We hear a lot nowadays about trauma informed therapy. What is it?
- Some people say that all adoption therapy should be attachment therapy. Is this true?
- How can parents determine if their child needs something more than outpatient therapy, such as hospitalization or residential treatment?
- The need to work collaboratively with schools and other mental health professionals
- How to find an adoption competent therapist where you live?
- What if one is not located nearby?
- Should adoptive parents be involved at all with the therapy, or just the child?
- How long does it take to start seeing improvement in the child’s behavior or a lessening of concerning symptoms?
- How to find the CASE directory for therapist?
- Post adoption support
- Age: how young is too young?
- Open adoption issues
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Subscribe to our radio RSS feed
- Subscribe to our blog RSS feed