Tired of waiting for the right partner? Ready to become a mother? Thinking about becoming a single mom by choice? What are your options and how to raise happy, healthy kids as a single mother? Host Dawn Davenport interviewed Lee Varon, a clinical social worker, single adoptive mom of two, and author of two books for single people interested in adopting; Dr. Michelle Ottey, the laboratory director for Fairfax Cryobank; and Mikki Morrissette, founder of ChoiceMoms.org, single mom of two by donor sperm, and author of Choosing Single Motherhood.
- How do you use a sperm bank? What is the procedure and what steps must you take?
- How do you select a donor? What information is routinely available? What factors do women often consider?
- What is the difference between anonymous donor, identifying information donor,identified donor, known donor, and directed donor?
- Do you have to use a doctor to do the actual transfer of sperm or can you do it yourself at home?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages with sleeping with the man you want to be the sperm donor rather than using artificial insemination?
- Is it harder for a single woman to adopt than for a heterosexual married couple? (Domestic adoption, foster care adoption, international adoption)
- Suggestions for how single parents can prepare an adoption profile so that it will be more appealing to an expectant parent.
- What specific things should a single woman consider if she has a roommate?
- How can single women provide male role models for their children?
- How to create a sense of community as a single parent?
- How to handle dating as a single parent?
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Subscribe to our radio RSS feed
- Subscribe to our blog RSS feed
Image credit: photosavvy
Show originally aired in 2014.