Effectiveness of Online Parent Support Groups
What is the future for parent support groups and are online support groups here to stay? How can we make them better? We talk with Dr. Jay Miller, Dean and Dorothy Miller Research Professor at the College of Social Work, University of Kentucky. He is a former foster youth and is now a prolific researcher in what works to support foster, adoptive, and kinship families.
In this episode, we cover:
- The Virtual Interaction Pilot Program at the University of Kentucky
- How to create a sense of community and relationship building with online parent support groups?
- How many is too many participants in online groups?
- What platform is best? Zoom? Microsoft Teams? Google Meet?
- What day of week and time of day is best for participation?
- Are there differences between urban vs. rural support groups?
- How to increase engagement in meetings?
- Do hybrid groups work?
- What is the future for foster, adoptive, and kinship groups?
- Do you see a difference in support groups for kinship parents?
Don’t miss an episode. Be sure to subscribe.
Leave us a rating or review.
Music Credit: Michael Ashworth
Image Credit: SHVETS production