This course is designed for adoption professionals and pre/post-adoptive families.
1- Hour Online Audio Course (Certificate of completion will be immediately awarded upon successful completion of the course including passing a 10 question quiz with a grade of 80%)
Adoption scams are unfortunately a possibility with domestic infant adoption. In this course, Brenda Horrocks, an adoptive mom and adoption scam victim, and Suzanne B. Nichols, an adoption attorney, talk about how to recognize and avoid domestic adoption scams.
This course includes:
- What are typical domestic adoption scams perpetrated by expectant women?
- How common is baby selling attempts?
- What are some of the red flags for an adoption scam?
- How much are adoptive parents allowed to pay a prospective birth mother for living expenses, clothes, transportation, food, etc.?
- When should an adoptive parent require proof of pregnancy?
- What are warning signs that an expectant woman does not plan to go through with the adoption?
- What are warning signs of adoption fraud?
- What can adoptive parents do to protect themselves from adoption fraud / domestic adoption scams?
- Is it illegal for expectant mothers to lie about prenatal exposure to drugs or alcohol?
- Should you pay a large up front fee to an adoption agency?
- What laws apply to prevent adoption agency fraud?
- How can prospective adoptive parent scam prospective birth mothers?
Please contact the Education Director for technical assistance or disability accommodations.
Image credit: Asdrubale