Dawn Davenport is Executive Director of Creating a Family, a national support and training nonprofit for foster, adoptive, and kinship families. She is host of the top-rated weekly podcast on these topics– Creating a Family: Talk about Adoption, Foster, and Kinship Care, averaging over 20,000 downloads a month. The podcast has been on air since 2007 and has won awards from both the US Department of Health and Human Services and from Congress for coverage.
Creating a Family has one of the largest online social networking communities in foster, adoptive, and kinship care, and has been rated as a Top Influencer on Facebook and Twitter.
Meet our Board
Meet our Staff
Meet our Partners
Creating a Family Key Programs:
We started in 2007 with a vision of becoming the national resource for adoption education and support providing unbiased research-based, trauma-informed resources. We quickly expanded our focus to include foster and kinship care. This generation of adoptive parents gets their information online, so in order to meet them where they are, we have created the largest online social networking community in foster, adoptive, and kinship care. Our resources utilize all the cutting-edge Internet technology (web, audio, video, social media). We also strive to tailor our resources and trainings to fit different learning styles and time availability. Accurate, unbiased, and easy for busy parents to use, our resources connect our audience to the leading experts working in the field today.
The forefront of our work begins with CreatingaFamily.org – one of the most comprehensive and up-to-date adoption websites offering over 1,500 pages and new content each week. To help families make informed choices, the major highlights of our website resources include:
- “A-Z Resource Guides” give users a comprehensive topical index and quick access to our extensive resources (audio interview, articles, fact sheets, videos, research summaries, and Expert Q&As)
- 400+ 1-hour archived and downloadable Podcast episodes with interviews of leading national experts
- Online Parent Training Centers provide expert-based, trauma-informed courses with certificates of completion
- CE for Child Welfare Social Workers Center provides CE courses in partnership with NASW
- Interactive Training/Support Curriculum for Foster, Adoptive, & Kinship Families provides a turn-key easy to use curriculum library for professionals or parents wanting to provide parent training or support groups
- Kinship Navigator Program Pilot
- “Adoption Comparison Charts” that serve as a unique tool for helping couples choose what type of adoption is best them, as well as how international adoption differs by country
- Monthly e-newsletters for both parents and professionals bringing easy access to support and the latest in foster, adoptive, and kinship care
- Plus multi-media guides, webinars, research summaries, etc.
In addition, Creating a Family also runs a moderated peer-to-peer online support group (pre and post adoption) with over 10,000 members.