How to Choose a Surrogate
What factors should you consider when choosing a surrogate? How does this decision differ from decisions with other forms of assisted reproductive technology? Our guests on today’s show were Jamie Williams, surrogacy case manager for the Surrogacy Source, a full service surrogacy agency; and Stephanie Caballero, founder of Extraordinary Conceptions, a California based egg donation and surrogacy center. She is an attorney specializing in surrogacy, egg donation and adoption law, and a mom through surrogacy.
- What types of surrogacy are available in the US?
- How does traditional surrogacy differ from gestational surrogacy?
- Why do women use of surrogate?
- What percentage of couples who use a surrogate use donor eggs?
- What percentage of couples who use a surrogate use donor egg and donor sperm?
- Does it matter when choosing a surrogate what state she lives in?
- Is it possible for the intended parents to be on the original birth certificate?
- What motivates a woman to become a surrogate for another couple?
- Should the money to be earned or compensation be a motivation?
- What makes a good surrogate?
- What are the big issues that must be agreed upon before entering into a surrogacy arrangement?
- How important is the surrogate’s family to a successful surrogacy?
- What type of support and education should the surrogate’s family receive?
- How much control do the intended parents have over the surrogate’s lifestyle? The surrogates eating, drinking, and smoking habits?
- Ultimately, whose decision is it to selectively reduce or to abort the pregnancy?
- How much does surrogacy cost?
- Do most surrogates allow the intended parents to be present at the birth?
- Is there any way to fully protect the intended parents from a traditional surrogate having parental rights, custody, or visitation if she wants it?
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:jimflix!
Sign up for our newsletter to have the latest and greatest adoption and infertility resources delivered to your inbox weekly.