Induced Lactation for Adoption or Surrogacy
Is it possible to breastfeed an adopted baby or a child born via surrogacy? How do you induce lactation when you have not experienced pregnancy? Host Dawn Davenport, Executive Director of Creating a Family, the national infertility & adoption education and support nonprofit, interviews Danielle Gauss, an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant and a member of International Lactation Consultants Association.
- What is meant by induced lactation?
- Nutritional and emotional benefits of breastfeeding.
- Methods for inducing lactation.
- Hormone stimulant with prolactin stimulant with pumping
- Prolactin stimulation medication and pumping
- Breast pump only
- How far in advance should you begin with hormones or prolactin stimulating meds?
- What is the inducing lactation protocol for adoptive breastfeeding?
- How does it work?
- What type of breast pump is best for inducing lactation?
- How often to pump?
- Safety of prolactin stimulating medications- domperidone (Motillium) or metoclopramide (Reglan)?
- Are Motillium and Reglan approved by the FDA?
- Side effects of medication on mother and baby?
- What is the American Academy of Pediatrics’ position on adoptive breastfeeding or surrogacy breastfeeding?
- American Academy of Family Physicians’ position: The physician should discuss with the adoptive mother the option to breastfeed her child. A knowledgeable physician or lactation consultant may help the mother develop a milk supply before or after an adoption.
- Herbal supplements that help induce lactation.
- What percentage of women who induce lactation will be able to produce all the milk their baby needs?
- Is it easier for a woman who has been pregnant and breastfed to induce lactation?
- Supplemental feeding systems. Which is best?
- Importance of the age of the baby when you attempt to breastfeed through induced lactation.
- We know that breast milk is best nutritionally and I am not at all discounting the emotional component, but is it best if you have to take drugs to induce it?
- Has there been research analyzing breast milk of women who were pregnant with breast milk from induced lactation?
- How to explain adoptive breastfeeding to family and friends?
- Expectant mother or birth mother acceptance of adoptive mother’s breastfeeding. Should adoptive mother’s who plan on breastfeeding tell the expectant mom or birth mother?
- Is it possible for men or transgender women to induce lactation?
- Top Tips for Adoptive Breastfeeding
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
Image credit: Chris Alban Hansen