Choosing an Adoption Agency
One of the biggest decisions prospective adoptive parents have to make is choosing an adoption agency or adoption attorney. Our guests were Laura Christianson, author of The Adoption Decision among other books; and Elizabeth Falker, author of The Ultimate Insider’s Guide to Adoption.
Hit the Highlights
- What’s the difference between using an adoption agency or an adoption attorney when adopting domestically?
- What is an adoption facilitator? Do you need to use a local agency or attorney?
- If adopting domestically out of state, do you need an agency or an attorney in both your state and the state the child was born in?
- What’s the most important thing to consider when choosing an adoption agency?
- Is it faster to adopt through an adoption agency or an adoption attorney?
- Should you pay a large upfront fee to an adoption agency?
- How do you find an adoption agency that has programs in the country you want to adopt from?
- Should you use an agency that only works in one country?
- How do you determine if your adoption agency has a strong program in a country
- When adopting from foster care, should you work with a private adoption agency that has a placement contract with the state or with the state or county child welfare agency?
- What is the best way to get references for adoption agencies?
- How can you determine if your adoption agency is ethical?
- How can you avoid adoption fraud?