This course is designed for adoption professionals and pre/post-adoptive families.
1- Hour Online Audio Course (Certificate of completion will be immediately awarded upon successful completion of the course including passing a 10-question quiz with a grade of 80%)
This course includes:
- What is post-adoption depression, and how does it differ from the general state of being overwhelmed following the addition of a child into a family, regardless of whether that kiddo comes to us via adoption or birth?
- How does post adoption depression differ from postpartum depression?
- How does post adoption depression differ from post adoption blues?
- How common is post adoption depression?
- How soon after the child is adopted does post adoption depression usually appear?
- What is parent attachment disorder and how does it relate?
- How can adoptive parents prevent the mismatch of expectations to reality that is common in post adoption depression?
- Who is more likely to suffer? Moms or dads?
- What are the most common risk factors?
- What are the most common risk factors for failure of a parent to attach to an adopted child?
- How does infertility grief play in to post adoption depression?
- How to help parents cope with the shame of post adoption depression or not feeling bonded to their adopted child?
- What type of doctor or therapist is best?
- Is medication effective in the treatment?
- What else can an adoptive parent do to help themselves?
- Is treatment necessary for this type of depression?
Please contact the Education Director for technical assistance or disability accommodations.
Image credit: Mary Lock- Goldilock Photography