Egg Freezing: Should You? When? How?
Should you freeze your eggs to preserve your fertility? When? What is the process? How many eggs should you have frozen to increase your chances of getting pregnant? What are the side effects and how much does it cost? Host Dawn Davenport, Executive Director of Creating a Family, the national infertility & adoption education and support nonprofit, interviews: Dr. Paul Brezina, a board certified fertility expert Fertility Associates of Memphis; Dr. Maria Mercedes Gondra, an infertility specialist, and Medical director at Gondra Center for Reproductive care and Advanced Gynecology and on site medical director at The World Egg Bank in Phoenix Arizona; and Brigitte Adams, Founder of Eggsurance, an organization whose mission is to create a community for women considering freezing their eggs.
- What’s the process to freeze your eggs?
- Do you have to use gonadotropins to stimulate the ovaries or can you retrieve what your body produces each month? What’s the cost of egg freezing?
- Who are the primary candidates for egg freezing?
- For women who have been on the birth control pill for a long time, does the pill affect their chances of getting enough eggs to freeze. How long do they need to be off the pill before starting the process?
- What is the optimal age for freezing your eggs?
- How old is too old for freezing your eggs?
- How can women test their ovarian reserves?
- What is the success rate for egg freezing?
- What are the pregnancy rates for egg freezing?
- Is their any research on the health of the children conceived with frozen eggs?
- What are the side effects? Risks of egg freezing?
- Why freeze your eggs rather than freezing a fertilized egg/embryo?
- How many eggs are enough to have frozen to give you a good chance of pregnancy in the future? How much is enough?
- How much does it cost to use your frozen eggs in an attempt to get pregnant?
- How much does it cost to store your frozen eggs each year?
- When you get ready to use your frozen eggs, what is the process?
- Using frozen donor eggs from an egg bank.
- Advantages and disadvantages for using a frozen egg bank for donor eggs?
- Success rates of frozen donor eggs compared to fresh donor eggs??
- How does the cost compare??
- How diverse is the selection of frozen donor eggs at egg banks??
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
Image credit: Johan