This course is designed for adoption professionals and pre/post-adoptive families.
1- Hour Online Audio Course (Certificate of completion will be immediately awarded upon successful completion of the course including passing a 10-question quiz with a grade of 80%)
Perspective adoptive parents dread the home study, but it is a key part of the adoption process. Why is it important, what should you expect and how does it differ by type of adoption? In this course, Susan Watson, Director of Domestic Adoption with Spence Chapin Adoption Agency, talks about what to expect during the adoption home studies.
This course includes:
- Why should people adopting have to pass an adoption home study when people who conceive do not?
- How soon in the adoption process should you start your adoption home study?
- How do you find an adoption home study agency?
- Does the home study provider have to be licensed in your state?
- How does a home study for international adoption differ from a home study for domestic adoption of a child?
- What is required to be included in an adoption home study?
- What should prospective adoptive parents do to prepare for a home study for a transracial adoption?
- Can you adopt a child if you are taking antidepressants?
- Will children living in the home be interviewed as part of the home study process for adoption?
- Will a misdemeanor arrest and conviction in the past affect your chances of adopting a child internationally?
- Will a criminal conviction in your past affect your chances of adopting a child domestically?
- What are the financial requirements for adopting a child? How will finances be addressed in the adoption home study process?
- What type of space requirements must be addressed in the adoption home study?
- How clean must your home be to pass an adoption home study?
- How is grief over infertility and the inability to have a child dealt with in the adoption home study?
Please contact the Education Director for technical assistance or disability accommodations.
Image credit: Eric Allix Rogers