This course is designed for adoption professionals and pre/post-adoptive families.
1- Hour Online Audio Course (Certificate of completion will be immediately awarded upon successful completion of the course including passing a 10-question quiz with a grade of 80%)
Post-adoption depression and parent attachment disorder are surprisingly common and seldom talked about. After all, since they’ve tried so hard to become parents, many adoptive parents are ashamed to admit that they are struggling. In this course, Dr. Jane Aronson, a board-certified general pediatrician and pediatric infectious diseases specialist, and adoption medicine specialist for the past 12 years, talks about post-adoption depression. She is a clinical assistant professor of pediatrics at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and the founder of World Wide Orphan Foundation. Dr. Aronson is also the author of, Carried in Our Hearts: The Gift of Adoption, Inspiring Stories of Families Created Across Continents.
This course includes:
- What is post-adoption depression, and how does it differ from the general state of being overwhelmed following the addition of a child into a family, regardless of whether that kiddo comes to us via adoption or birth?
- How does post adoption depression differ from postpartum depression?
- How does post adoption depression differ from post adoption blues?
- How common is post adoption depression?
- How soon after the child is adopted does post adoption depression usually appear?
- What is parent attachment disorder and how does it relate?
- What are the most common risk factors?
- How does infertility grief play in to post adoption depression?
- What are treatment options for post adoption depression?
Please contact the Education Director for technical assistance or disability accommodations.
Image credit: Mary Lock- Goldilock Photography