This course is designed for adoption professionals and pre/post-adoptive families.
1- Hour Online Audio Course (Certificate of completion will be immediately awarded upon successful completion of the course including passing a 10 question quiz with a grade of 80%)
Even if you completely embrace the idea of open adoption, there are situations that make it difficult. How should adoptive parents navigate an open adoption in difficult birth parent situations? Should they even try? In this course, Nancy Burley helps you figure out how to navigate open adoption in less than ideal birth parent situations. She is the Executive Director and founder of Adoption Circle, an Ohio child placement agency, has twenty-five years of adoption experience working directly with all members of the adoption triad, and is a state certified adoption assessor.
This course includes:
- Should you remain in contact, and if so how, if the birth parents have abused the child?
- Why should parents try to maintain relationships in difficult birth parent situations?
- How to deal with a large extended birth family?
- How should parents deal with birth parents that are not good role models?
- How should parents deal with a family history or alcohol or substance abuse?
- How should parents deal with obvious difference between openness in multiple adoptions?
- What should parents do when the birth family is reluctant to maintain contact?
- What should parents do if the birth parents have another child who they do not place for adoption?
- Should adoptive parents bring up sensitive topics or with for their children to ask?
Please contact the Education Director for technical assistance or disability accommodations.