This course is designed for adoption professionals and pre/post-adoptive families.
1- Hour Online Audio Course (Certificate of completion will be immediately awarded upon successful completion of the course including passing a 10-question quiz with a grade of 80%)
How to adopt internationally? What is the process for international adoption? How long does it take to adopt from abroad? How much do international adoptions cost? How to find an ethical international adoption agency? In this course, Dawn Davenport, Executive Director of Creating a Family, the national infertility & adoption education and support nonprofit, interviews Rebecca Leaming regarding the fundamentals of international adoption.
This course includes:
- Outline of the typical international adoption process.
- What type of kids are available for international adoption?
- What is the youngest child available?
- Is it possible to get a young healthy child?
- How many kids are available?
- There are a lot of regulatory fingers in international adoption.
- How much paperwork is involved in international adoption?
- Why is the US government involved in saying who can adopt?
- Do adoption agencies have different or more stringent requirements than the foreign or US government?
- What are some of country specific requirements for adoptive parents?
- The Complete Book of International Adoption by Dawn Davenport.
- What are the health risks of international adoption? Many international adoption programs are considered special need programs meaning that the kids may have special needs, however, the type of special needs varies considerably.
- What are some typical health issues children might have?
- What type of care do children have before adoption? Institutional vs foster care.
- How to adopt a child on a waiting child website?
- How much information will you have on the health of the child when you receive a referral?
- How to decide on what country to adopt from. Will the country accept you? Does the country place children that you think your family is a good fit for?
- Who can adopt internationally?
- Good resource: Creating a Family Country Comparison Charts.
- Example of certain country requirements.
- Countries closing down. How big of a risk.
- What to look for in an international adoption agency?
- How to choose an international adoption agency: Creating a Family Multimedia Guide on Choosing an Adoption Agency or Attorney, Websites, Resources, E-guides
- After choosing an agency, what is the process for adopting internationally?
- How much does international adoption cost?
- Are grants available?
- What is the Adoption Tax Credit and does it help defray the cost of international adoption?
- How long does it take to adopt internationally?
- Is it possible for single women, gays, lesbians, or other members of the LGBTQ community to adopt internationally?
Please contact the Education Director for technical assistance or disability accommodations.
Image credit: JoeBorn