This course is designed for adoption professionals and pre/post-adoptive families.
1- Hour Online Audio Course (Certificate of completion will be immediately awarded upon successful completion of the course including passing a 10 question quiz with a grade of 80%)
There are nearly half a million children in the US foster care system at any given time. What type of children are available through foster care adoption, what are the requirements, what are the risks and what the subsidies? In this course, Nancy Taft, a social worker with over 30 years experience with foster care adoption, is joined by Shannon and Valerie, two mothers who have adopted from the foster care system, to talk about foster care adoption.
This course includes:
- How to adopt from the foster care system
- What is the difference between state or county child welfare agencies and private agencies?
- Is there a cost difference between private vs. state agency?
- How much does it cost to adopt from the foster care system?
- What sorts of subsidies are available for foster care adoptions and how do you apply for them?
- Are there tax benefits for foster care adoptions?
- Do most kids available from foster care have special needs? Why types of special needs are typical?
- Is it possible to adopt a baby from foster care?
- Is it possible for a single man or woman to adopt from foster care?
- How long does the typical foster care adoption take?
- Do most adoptive families keep in contact with birth families?
- Do state agencies frown on placing black kids with white parents?
- Do state agencies try to keep sibling groups together?
Please contact the Education Director for technical assistance or disability accommodations.
Image credit: sebastien.barre