This course is designed for adoption professionals and pre/post-adoptive families.
1- Hour Online Audio Course (Certificate of completion will be immediately awarded upon successful completion of the course including passing a 10 question quiz with a grade of 80%)
Between 5-10% of children have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, but many parents don’t understand the disorder. Is it caused by diet, food allergies, low blood sugar, or lack of sleep? What is the best way to diagnosis and treat ADHD? In this course, Dr. Vincent Monastra, a clinical psychologist specializing in ADHD and author of Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons that Medicine Cannot Teach, talks about the different types of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and how to treat them.
This course includes:
- What is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and how is it diagnosed?
- What causes ADHD?
- What are the different types of ADHD?
- What type of testing should be done before medications are prescribed?
- What other conditions or illnesses or diseases mimic the symptoms of ADHD such as inattention, restlessness, and inability to concentrate?
- Some adopted children, especially those who were adopted at an older age and from an abusive or neglectful background, have been diagnosed with Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) or attachment issues, anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Oppositional Defiant Disorder (OPD), or Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). How can parents tell the difference between RAD, PTSD, OPD and SPD and the symptoms of ADHD in adopted children? Do these conditions often occur at the same time? How do you tell the difference between ADHD and RAD, PTSD, OPD and SPD?
- Are there ways to control the symptoms of ADHD without using medications?
- When should medications be used?
- Do the stimulant medicines such as Ritalin, Concerta, Metadate CD, Focalin, Dexedrine, Adderall, and Daytrana work for all types of ADHD? What are their side effects?
- How are the non-stimulant medications such as Atomoxetine (Strattera) best used in treating ADHD? On what type of ADHD should Strattera be used?
- What are the side effects of the medications/drugs? Are there ways to lessen or ameliorate these side effects?
- How do you know if your child is on the right dosage of medications?
- What type of nutrition is best for children, teens, and adults with ADHD?
Please contact the Education Director for technical assistance or disability accommodations.
Image credit: joebeone