This course is designed for adoption professionals and pre/post-adoptive families.
1- Hour Online Audio Course (Certificate of completion will be immediately awarded upon successful completion of the course including passing a 10 question quiz with a grade of 80%)
How does it work out when you combine kids by birth and adoption in the same family? Does it matter if you adopt out of birth order? Does it make a difference if the adopted child is a baby, toddler, or over the age of six? In this course, Arleta James, a therapist specializing in adoption and the author of Brothers and Sisters in Adoption; and Judy Stigger, an adoption therapist, Director of Professional Relations for Adoption Learning Partners and an adoptive mom, discuss how to successfully combine children by birth and adoption and how to make the transition as smooth as possible for everyone involved.
This course includes:
- What can parents do to prepare existing children for a new sibling whose past is unknown?
- What are some issues that institutionalized children have?
- What are the potential impacts of adopting out of birth order to existing children and adopted children? What can parents do to ease the problems?
- What is artificial twinning and should parents do it?
- How can parents facilitate sibling attachment?
- What should parents do if their extended family gives the biological children preferential treatment?
- What should parents do with grown children who are resistant to parents adopting younger children?
- What should parents do if they cannot treat children by adoption and birth equally? Is it necessary to treat children in a blended family equally?
- How much information about an adopted child’s early life should parents share with the other children?
- Tips for dealing with different degrees of information about each child
- Tips for dealing with birth children who are uncomfortable with the attention a blended family gets
Please contact the Education Director for technical assistance or disability accommodations.
Image credit: YCNUU5DF