This course is designed for adoption professionals and pre/post-adoptive families.
1- Hour Online Audio Course (Certificate of completion will be immediately awarded upon successful completion of the course including passing a 10 question quiz with a grade of 80%)
If you suspect your child has a behavioral disorder such as reactive attachment disorder or oppositional defiant disorder, or if your child acts out and nothing you do seems to help them, a love-based approach to helping children with severe behaviors might be the best approach. This course features Heather Forbes, therapist, adoptive mom, and author of Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Control.
This course includes:
- What is meant by relying on love, not discipline, and what place does discipline have in raising disturbed children?
- What are fear-based parenting techniques?
- What is a love-based approach to helping children with severe behavioral problems?
- How can parents take a break from raising difficult children?
- How should parents take responsibility for their children’s pre-adoption trauma?
- Chronological age vs. emotional age
- What is specific language that parents can use to talk to their children during tantrums?
- How can parents simplify their children’s world?
- How should parents handle their children lying?
- How should parents handle manipulative or controlling behavior?
- How should parents deal with children who are physically violent?
Please contact the Education Director for technical assistance or disability accommodations.
Image credit: Clinus