This course is designed for adoption professionals and pre/post-adoptive families.
1- Hour Online Audio Course (Certificate of completion will be immediately awarded upon successful completion of the course including passing a 10 question quiz with a grade of 80%)
Families that have adopted from foster care may be eligible for a monthly cash subsidy, health care coverage, and college tuition for their children. How do you know what you are eligible for and how to get it? This course is an interview with Josh Kroll, project coordinator with the Adoption Subsidy Resource Center at the North American Council on Adoptable Children, and Seth A. Grob, an adoption and reproductive law attorney and one of the top legal experts on adoption subsides in the US. He has published extensively about adoption and the rights of children and foster parents.
This course includes:
- What are adoption subsidies?
- What type of benefits are available as part of a subsidy? Monthly cash payment, psychological counseling, medical, orthodontia, college education?
- How do you reconcile the child’s current needs and expenses with unknown future needs and expenses of the child? How willing are states to consider future costs that may or may not be needed when developing an amount for the subsidy?
- What qualifies as a special need eligible for a subsidy?
- What percentage of children adopted from foster care receive a subsidy?
- Can you still get the adoption subsidy if you move to another state?
- Do subsidies vary by state in terms of amount and other things that might be included?
- Can you get an adoption subsidy if you adopt a child with special needs from an adoption agency rather than foster care?
- If a relative adopts a child with special needs, can they receive an adoption subsidy?
- Can you get a subsidy even if you make an adequate income?
- How can parents best negotiate for a subsidy? So often, it may not be apparent what the child’s special needs really are or the proper testing has not been done.
- Can you renegotiate the amount of adoption subsidies or what is included if the child’s needs increase after the adoption?
Please contact the Education Director for technical assistance or disability accommodations.
Image credit: nathangibbs