This course is designed for adoption professionals and pre/post-adoptive families.
1- Hour Online Audio Course (Certificate of completion will be immediately awarded upon successful completion of the course including passing a 10 question quiz with a grade of 80%)
What is the process for adopting from foster care? How long does it take? Do you have to foster first? Can you adopt a child from another state? Should you work with a private or public agency? Jennifer Deazvedo, waiting child adoption coordinator for Children’s Connection Inc.; Dr. Dixie Davis, Executive Director of The Adoption Exchange and the Wednesday’s Child Foundation which recruits families for children in foster care; and Jennifer M. Phillips, adoption supervisor with Lutheran Social Services of Southern New England answer these questions and more in this course on adopting from foster care.
This course includes:
- The racial, age, and gender statistics for children currently available for adoption in the US foster care system.
- How do children end up in governmental care?
- Who is eligible to adopt from foster care?
- What type of training is required to adopt from foster care? How long does this training last?
- Who performs the home study for adopting from foster care?
- How do you prepare children already in the home for the adoption of a new child?
- How long does it take to terminate parental rights?
- How long does a state have to find a permanent home for a child?
- Should you use a private adoption agency that is under contract with the state to place children from foster care, or should you use the public county agency?
- How does foster to adopt differ from adopting a child that is legally free for adoption?
- How can prospective adoptive parents make sure they have all the information available about a child they are considering adopting?
- Can you adopt a child from foster care in another state?
- Do children adopted from foster care have continued contact with their birth family or birth grandparents or siblings?
- Should you use photo listings to find children available to adopt?
- What type of subsidies are available for families that adopt from foster care?
- What type of post adoption support should adoptive parents look for from an adoption agency?
Please contact the Education Director for technical assistance or disability accommodations.United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley