Fertility Tourism / Going Abroad for Infertility Treatment
Fertility tourism refers to going to another country for infertility treatment, although it is safe to say that many people looking at this option do not consider these trips to be a vacation. The primary reason US citizen go abroad for fertility treatment is lower cost; while the primary reason citizens of other countries come to the US for infertility treatment is the availability of treatment options not offered in their home country.
- Cost savings
- Availability of treatment with fewer restriction on age, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, etc.
- Seeking a specific treatment/technique that might not be available in home country (ICSI, PGD, embryo cryopreservation, gender selection, etc.)
Creating a Family has many resources on fertility tourism. A few we think you will find particularly helpful are:
- Top Ten Tips for Finding a Reputable Infertility Clinic Abroad
- Ten Questions to ask Before Deciding to Go Abroad for Infertility Treatment
- Practical Considerations When Going Abroad for Treatment (1 hr. radio interview with experts)
Many more Creating a Family radio interviews with experts, videos, blogs, fact sheets, and Q and A’s with Experts on fertility tourism can be found at the icons below.
Image credit: Roslyn in Starfish Island