Finding an Attorney that Specializes in Reproductive Law
The laws governing third party reproduction, such as sperm donation, egg donation, embryo donation, and surrogacy vary by state, and in some cases vary greatly. Creating your family through third party reproduction is far too important to not hire a lawyer to guide you, and the attorney you hire should specialize in reproductive law.
- American Academy of Assisted Reproductive Technology Attorneys (AAARTA) is a credentialed, professional organization dedicated to the advancement of best legal practices in the area of assisted reproduction and to the protection of the interests of all parties, including the children, involved in assisted reproductive technology matters. They have a list of members.
- The American Bar Association Section of Family Law has a Committee on Reproductive & Genetic Technologies. Attorneys specializing in reproductive law are not required to be a member of this committee, but membership is evidence that they are up on the latest developments in this area of law.
- American Society of Reproductive Medicine allows non-physicians as professional members and they have a Legal Professional Group.
- The American College of Assisted Reproduction and Adoption Lawyers (ACARAL) is a professional organization of attorneys specializing in adoption and assisted reproduction law. They have a list of members.
- Ask your reproductive endocrinologist for a recommendation.
- And last, but not least, please check out the reproductive law attorneys listed on the Creating a Family Infertility Service Provider Directory. These are attorneys that believe in our mission of providing free unbiased accurate information to the infertility patient community.
Creating a Family has many resources on fertility and reproductive law. A few we think you will find particularly helpful are:
- Legal and Immigration Issues with Egg/Sperm Donation or Surrogacy Abroad (1 hr radio interview with experts)
- How to Find a Reproductive Law Attorney? (7 min. video)
Many more Creating a Family radio interviews with experts, videos, blogs, fact sheets, and Q and A’s with Experts on Fertility Law can be found at the icons below.