What Makes a Good Embryo for IVF
Which embryos in IVF are more likely to implant and grow for 9 months and result in a healthy baby? What can patients and doctors do to select the best embryo to give you the best chance of a successful pregnancy? Host Dawn Davenport, Executive Director of Creating a Family, the national infertility & adoption education and support organization, interviews Dr. Marcy Maguire, a reproductive embryologist at Reproductive Medical Assiociates of New Jersey, and Clinical Assistant Professor of Reproductive Endocrinology at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, about the latest developments in fertility treatment.
- What makes a good embryo (and by good, I mean one that will implant and grow for 9 months to become a baby)?
- What is Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD)?
- What is Preimplantation Genetic Screening (PGS), or Comprehensive Chromosome Screening (CSS)?
- What is the difference between PGD and PGS?
- What is the most common reasons embryos don’t implant into the uterus or miscarry after 6 to 8 weeks?
- Are chromosomal abnormalities in an embryo more common in in vitro fertilization (IVF) than in a naturally conceived pregnancy?
- Other than chromosomal abnormalities, what else effects an embryo being able to implant and grow without miscarriage?
- Is PGD and chromosomal screening (which requires cells to be removed from an embryo) safe for the embryo, and any future baby or child?
- At what stage of embryo development can PGD and PGS (chromosomal screening) be done?
- Is there an advantage to doing Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) or Preimplantation Genetic Screening (PGS) or Comprehensive Chromosome Screening (CSS) at Day 5 over Day 3?
- What type of chromosomal screening is available?
- Does chromosomal screening require that all embryos be frozen or is it possible to do chromosomal screening with a fresh embryo transfer?
- Is your chance of success with IVF better with a fresh or frozen embryo transfer?
- What is the “window of implantation”?
- How much does chromosomal screening (CSS, PGD, PGS) add to the cost of in vitro fertilization (IVF)?
- Can chromosomal screening be used to create “designer babies” through IVF?
- What is the pregnancy rate for IVF cycles that choose the embryo to transfer based on chromosomal screening?
- Is chromosomal screening (PGS, CSS) useful in older women?
- How to choose an infertility clinic that will be able to do embryo screening with IVF?
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
Image credit: Einahpets32 (Stephanie)