How Weight Affects Fertility and Infertility Treatment
How does your weight or Body Mass Index (BMI) affect your fertility? Does it alter your chances of success with infertility treatment? How does Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) affect fertility and infertility treatment? Host Dawn Davenport interviewed Dr. Allison Styne, a reproductive endocrinologist with RMA New York.
- How much over weight does a person have to be before it starts to affect fertility?
- How much underweight does a person have to be before it starts to affect fertility?
- Does a man’s weight affect his fertility or sperm count?
- How is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) related to weight?
- What are the symptoms of PCOS?
- How is PCOS diagnosed?
- What causes PCOS?
- Does being overweight cause PCOS?
- How is PCOS treated?
- What does Metformin do?
- What are the side effects of Metformin and how can they be reduced?
- Is metformin effective at helping with weight loss?
- Can being overweight affect the success of fertility treatments, such as IVF?
- How does weight interfere with the fertility meds needed?
- If you are overweight but in could physical shape will that improve your fertility or increase the odds of success with fertility treatment?
- Does being overweight affect embryo implantation rate in the uterus?
- Does it matter how you lose weight in order to improve your fertility?
- What type of diet is best for someone with PCOS that is trying to lose weight?
- Does the quality of the food you eat affect your fertility or chances of success with fertility treatment?
- Is acupuncture, Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) or other alternative treatments useful in treating PCOS?
- Is there any evidence that acupuncture or other forms of TCM will help someone lose weight?
For more information from this show and a discussion of this topic, check out Dawn’s blog on the show: Is Your Weight Causing Your Infertility. Please join the discussion or leave your thoughts about the show in the comments on the blog.
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Subscribe to our radio RSS feed
- Subscribe to our blog RSS feed