Treating Infertility in Younger Women
Infertility can happen irrespective of age. Does treatment and odds of success differ depending on the woman’s age? Our guest today are Dr. Jim Toner, a reproductive endocrinologist with Atlanta Center for Reproductive Medicine with offices in Atlanta and John’s Creek, GA; and Dr. Lawrence Werlin, reproductive endocrinologist and medical director of Coastal Fertility Medical Center, in Irvine, California. Atlanta Center for Reproductive Medicine has been a long time sponsor of Creating a Family and this show and all of our resources are a direct result of their support.
Hit the Highlights
- The common perception is that infertility is the result of women postponing trying to conceive until they are past their peak reproductive years. What percentage of infertility is solely due to age?
- Are there differences in the types of fertility seen in younger women?
- What can cause tubal damage that may impair fertility?
- What sexually transmitted diseases cause the most fertility issues?
- Can prior abortions impair a woman’s fertility?
- Is the prognosis for treatment of younger men with fertility issues with their sperm better than for older infertile men?
- Is it better for a younger infertile woman to treat her infertility through an intrauterine insemination (IUI) with injectable fertility drugs or though in vitro fertilization (IVF)?
- Are younger women at more risk for multiple birth through infertility treatment than women over 35 or 40?
- Does fertility treatment differ depending on age?
- Should younger women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) “hurry up” and have children or do they have the option of waiting until their early 30s?
- When should younger women consider donor eggs?
- Should younger women who are undergoing fertility treatment without success consider freezing some of their eggs in case they are still trying once they are past peak fertility?
- What are the chances of success (achieving a pregnancy) in younger women?
Don’t miss an episode. Be sure to subscribe.
Leave us a rating or review.Image Credit: bradfordst219
Show re-aired in 2016.