Relationship Between Weight, PCOS, and Infertility
What is the relationship between your weight and your fertility? The latest research may surprise you. Does it matter how overweight you are? How much weight do you really need to lose? My guest is Dr. Lubna Pal, a Reproductive Endocrinologist and Professor at Yale University School of Medicine. She specializes in obesity–related reproductive dysfunction and other reproductive endocrine issues including polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
Hit the Highlights
- How does weight affect fertility?
- What are the lifetime risks to a child born to an obese mother?
- How much overweight or underweight do you have to be to reduce your odds of conception? Teaser: You don’t have to be the perfect weight to have the greatest odds. Being a little overweight doesn’t hurt.
- Does past obesity reduce your chances of getting pregnant once you lose some weight?
- What are the weight criteria for embryo adoption?
- A great explanation of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) symptoms.
- Does PCOS make losing weight harder?
- Does obesity cause PCOS?
- Can you have PCOS if you are not overweight?
- Does PCOS increase your chances for a miscarriage?
- Are certain ethnicities more likely to get PCOS?
- How to find a doctor and what type of doctor should you see if you suspect that you have PCOS?
- If you don’t want to get pregnant, do you need to treat your PCOS?
- Is losing weight enough to get pregnant if you have PCOS or do you also need other treatment?
- When should you use metformin, how does metformin work in the body, how successful is it?
- How effective is Clomid for treating infertility in the obese woman or the woman with PCOS?
- Does metformin help you lose weight?
- What should you do if metformin isn’t successful?
- Does exercise alone without weight loss increase fertility?
- How does obesity affect male fertility? You may be surprised.
- To increase fertility, does it matter how you lose weight (low calorie diet, bariatric surgery, weight loss drugs)?
- Is it safe to get pregnant after bariatric surgery? How long should you wait?
- What alternative treatments have been proven effective to treat infertility or PCOS?