Primary Ovarian Insufficiency / Premature Ovarian Failure
One of the important causes of infertility in women is Primary Ovarian Insufficiency (also called Premature Ovarian Failure or Premature Menopause). Learn the latest on causes, diagnosis, and treatment of this diseases with our guest, Dr. Lawrence M. Nelson, head of the Integrative Reproductive Medicine Unit at the National Institute for Health and leading researcher on primary ovarian insufficiency. We will discuss how this disease affects fertility, what types of fertility treatments can be used for a women with premature ovarian failure, what are the other health implications of this primary ovarian insufficiency.
- What is Primary Ovarian Insufficiency?
- How does Primary Ovarian Insufficiency differ from Premature Ovarian Failure or Premature Menopause?
- How common is Premature Ovarian Failure?
- Is POI caused by the ovaries not having enough follicles that will mature into eggs or is it that there are plenty of follicles, but there is something wrong with the process of the follicles becoming a mature egg?
- What age is normal for a woman to start having diminished ovarian reserves?
- What are the symptom of POF?
- Is Premature Ovarian Failure the same as Premature Menopause?
- How is Primary Ovarian Insufficiency diagnosed?
- What tests should a doctor run to diagnose this disease?
- What causes Premature Ovarian Failure?
- Is there a genetic cause for POF?
- Does obesity cause low ovarian reserves?
- How is POI treated?
- What are the other health risks from having premature menopause?
- How is bone density affected by POF?
- Primary Ovarian Insufficiency is characterized by intermittent unpredictable ovarian function.
- What are the risks of younger women being placed on hormone replacement therapy as treatment for Premature Ovarian Failure?
- What other conditions can mimic POI/POF?
- Is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome related to premature ovarian failure?
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Subscribe to our radio RSS feed
- Subscribe to our blog RSS feed