Premature Ovarian Failure: Causes and Treatment
Premature Ovarian Failure is a leading cause of infertility. What causes this condition and what are the cutting edge treatments that will allow a woman to be able to conceive? Host Dawn Davenport, Executive Director of Creating a Family, the national infertility and adoption education and support nonprofit, interviews Dr. Timothy Hickman, Medical Director and Co-Founder of Houston IVF. He holds Clinical Associate Professor Appointments at both the University of Texas Medical School-Houston and Baylor College of Medicine. He is a Board-Certified Reproductive Endocrinologist by American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and served on the Executive Board of the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology from 2001 – 2011. Additionally, Dr. Hickman has been named a “Top Doctor in Reproductive Endocrinology” by U.S. News and World Report, a “Top Doctor” and “Top Doctor for Women” by H-Texas Magazine and a “Texas Super Doc” by Texas Monthly Magazine.
- How is Premature Ovarian Failure (POF) defined, because isn’t the decrease in egg production a normal part of aging?
- I have heard this condition called different things: Primary Ovarian Insufficiency, Premature Menopause, POF. What other names does it go by?
- How is POF diagnosed?
- What are the symptoms (other than an inability to get pregnant)?
- What causes premature ovarian failure?
- Is premature menopauses caused by genetics, environmental pollution, chemical exposure, lead paint, and/or stress?
- Have there been any studies done on a link between POF and taking Accutane (a treatment for acne) as a teen?
- Can losing one ovary lead to Premature Ovarian Failure?
- Are those with autoimmune diseases more susceptible to POF?
- Can IVF lead to premature ovarian failure or early menopause? Is there any evidence that aggressive stimulation of the ovaries during a typical IVF cycle can contribute to Premature Ovarian Failure?
- Is there a link between premature ovarian failure and the HPV vaccine (Gardasil or Cervarix)?
- Treatments: let’s start with medical (western medical) treatments, and then talk about other forms of treatment.
- Are less gonadotropins more effective for women with POF, or more?
- New IVA Study for the treatment of Premature Ovarian Failure.
- Alternative treatments for Premature Ovarian Failure
- Are there any diet changes a woman can make to help preserve what ovarian function she has left?
- Premature Ovarian Failure has other health implications other than infertility. What are they?
Don’t miss an episode. Be sure to subscribe.
Leave us a rating or review.Image Credit: Hey Paul Studios
Show re-aired in 2018.