What is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? What is the best way to diagnose and treat PCOS? How to get pregnant with PCOS? Host Dawn Davenport, Executive Director of Creating a Family, the national infertility & adoption education and support nonprofit, interviews Dr. Alan Martinez, a Reproductive Endocrinologist at Reproductive Science Center of New Jersey.
- What are the most common symptoms of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (also known as Stein-Leventhal Syndrome)?
- Can you have PCOS and have regular periods?
- What causes Polycystic Ovary Syndrome?
- Is it hereditary?
- Is PCOS more common now than in the past?
- Are there environmental factors that cause Polycystic Ovary Syndrome?
- Why is it so hard to get a good diagnosis of PCOS?
- Is fatigue a common symptom of this syndrome?
- What other endocrine diseases are often associated with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome?
- “I hate the weight issues the most because people tell me I’m a liar when I say I follow a diet and still can’t lose. I’d like to lose weight and be healthier, but the scale won’t budge. And when it does it’s a pound a month and to be perfectly honest that’s not worth the epic struggle. I work three times as hard to have a quarter of the results.”
- Is any type of diet or eating style more effective with PCOS? Is it common for people with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome to have a much harder time losing weight?
- How much weight do you need to lose to increase your fertility and to improve overall health?
- Is bariatric weight loss surgery effective at lowering the weight of PCOS sufferers, and does it improve their symptoms and overall health? Are there stats on whether the weight loss is sustainable?
- Is there any evidence that avoiding gluten will improve the symptoms of PCOS?
- How is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome diagnosed?
- Treatment options for PCOS.
- Spironolactone- Brand name Aldactone-addresses hair growth. How safe is this drug?
- How effective is Sprintec? How does it work?
- How effective is Metformin (an insulin sensitizer) at treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Who should take Metformin to treat PCOS?
- Women are often told to take birth control pills to control the symptoms of PCOS, but does it matter what type of birth control pill that they take?
- Is there any way to control acne without being on birth control pills?
- “How can I manage my symptoms and still get pregnant? I was told the Pill is the best way to control PCOS but I want to be pregnant.”
- Is oral fertility medication effective for helping women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome get pregnant?
- Latest treatments for PCOS.
- What natural treatments, alternative treatments, complimentary treatments, and supplements are effective to treat PCOS?
- Should you avoid dairy if you have PCOS?
- What are the statistics for women with PCOS getting pregnant?
- Other health risks for women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.
- Cancer risk with PCOS?
Don’t miss an episode. Be sure to subscribe.
Leave us a rating or review.
Image credit: David Gaborit
Show originally aired in 2016.