Legal Issues You MUST Consider when Using Egg Donation, Sperm Donation or Surrogacy
Egg donation, sperm donation, and surrogacy can have significant legal concerns. It is important that infertility patients considering egg or sperm donation or surrogacy think through these issues before hand. Host Dawn Davenport interviewed two of the leading reproductive law attorneys on topics that should be considered by those using donor eggs, donor sperm, or surrogacy to create their family. Our guests are Stephanie Caballero and Catherine Tucker, both reproductive law attorneys covering egg donation, sperm donation, surrogacy, and embryo donation.
- How much contact is possible between the intended parents and an anonymous egg donor?
- Is it possible to do anonymous egg donation and still be able to contact the egg donor for medical reasons or when the child is older and wants information or contact?
- What must be in the contract if parents or child want to contact the donor in the future?
- How can the Donor Sibling Registry be used to facilitate information exchange?
- What questions to ask an egg donation agency if you want to be able to contact an egg donor in the future? How can egg donation agencies or infertility clinics facilitate contact that may happen many years in the future?
- What are the differences between using an egg donation agency, your infertility clinic, or an egg bank when looking for an egg donor?
- What is the risk when using a gestational surrogate of the surrogate being able to keep the child?
- What can intended parents do to minimize any risks in surrogacy?
- Why is surrogate screening so important? What type of questions should the surrogate be asked?
- How to choose a surrogacy agency? What should you look for?
Don’t miss an episode. Be sure to subscribe.
Leave us a rating or review.Image Credit: Jundy Tiu
Show re-aired in 2016.