IUI vs. IVF: Which Fertility Treatment is Right for You
Host Dawn Davenport, Executive Director of Creating a Family, the national infertility & adoption education and support nonprofit, interviews Dr. Daniel Williams, a reproductive endocrinologist and Medical Director with the Houston Fertility Institute.
- What is an intrauterine insemination (IUI)? What is an intracervical insemination (ICI)?
- How does an IUI differ from in vitro fertilization (IVF)?
- What is the difference between a medicated IUI cycle versus a natural IUI?
- What medication is used for a medicated intrauterine insemination?
- What are the risks of twins or higher order multiples with unmedicated IUI vs medicated IUI?
- When should you consider converting an IUI cycle to an IVF cycle?
- How fresh does the semen have to be?
- How is the sperm prepared when doing an IUI or ICI?
- What is sperm washing?
- How does sperm washing/”swim-up test” work? Why might someone with a normal semen analysis not qualify for IUI?
- Is sperm aspiration following a vasectomy a viable choice for IUI?
- What are the chances of success with an IUI? With an ICI?
- Timing of an IUI? With male factor infertility versus non male factor?
- Is it better to do one or two IUI for the same month? Which one has the best pregnancy results?
- How long will sperm live after an IUI?
- How long will an egg be viable after it is released?
- What is the best way to determine ovulation?
- How long should a man abstain from ejaculation before giving a sample for an IUI?
- How do you decide whether to try an IUI versus going straight to IVF?
- Is there important diagnosis information that can be gained from IVF which would not be available from an IUI cycle?
- What type of infertility is best treated by IUI?
- How does insurance coverage play into the decision between IUI and IVF?
- Does an IUI make sense when the sperm is normal?
- How much does a typical unmedicated IUI cost? How much does a medicated IUI cost?
- Will insurance typically cover IUIs?
- What type of monitoring is typically done after an IUI cycle?
- What are the risks associated with an IUI?
- How many IUIs should you try before moving to in vitro fertilization?
Subscribe to Creating a Family Radio:
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Subscribe to our radio RSS feed
- Subscribe to our blog RSS feed
Image credit: Christopher Carfi